Your child is struggling, scientists, and feel that you might have a disability? Have you ever been told a special education personnel that the child does not fit any of the 13 classifications of eligibility to receive special education services? This article will discuss the 13 classifications of disability, which includes people with disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and that the child is eligible for special education services. The fact that a particular child is entitled to up to the parent and the IEP team, but one of the 13 categories of disability is required in order to be eligible.
The categories are as follows:
1. Autism: a developmental disability that can affect verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions, and can have a negative impact on the child & # 39; and education. Autism is defined in 1150 by the Center for Disease Control, or CDC.
2 Other health deterioration (OHI): A child exhibits limited strength due alertness chronic or acute health problems, including but not limited to asthma, ADD / ADHD, cancer, diabetes, which negatively affects the child & # 39; and education.
3. Mental retardation: definition, general functioning significantly below average, the deficit in adaptive behavior that negatively affects a child & # 39; and education.
4. emotional disturbance (ED) exhibit the following conditions for a long time, and these conditions may adversely affect the child & # 39; and education. Inability to learn that can not be explained by intellectual, sensory or health factors. To spark a child should not have been machined with other types of disabilities have a negative impact on education.
5. Deafness: Residual hearing is severely impaired processing of the spoken word, which affects the child & # 39; and education.
6 hearing loss: hearing loss shows that constant or variable gain more negative effect on the child & # 39; and education.
7. visual impairment: a loss to the educational potential can not be achieved without special services and materials.
8. Deaf-Blindness: all children with hearing and visual disabilities.
9. Specific Learning Disability (LD): Indicates a disorder in one or more basic psychological processes (such as visual, motor, language, etc.), Which negatively affects the child & # 39; and education.
10 multiple disabilities: A child points to two or more severe disabilities, one of which is mental retardation.
11 Orthopedic Impairment: Displays severe impairments are that as a result of congenital abnormalities, developmental, or other reasons (eg, CP), which negatively affects child & # 39; and education.
12. Speech or language impairment: it shows a communication disorder such as stuttering, impaired articulation, receptive and / or expressive language disorder that negatively affects a child & # 39; and education.
13 traumatic brain injury: A child's brain injury such as total or partial functional disability.
If you know as to which categories belong to IDEA will be able to understand if your child's disability makes them eligible for special education services. You're the only advocate for your child, do not let them!